Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Sobering Reality

Today's post isn't going to be witty, humorous one. I have more somber post today. Yesterday I said I couldn't wait to be transported through history on our trip to Normandy. That is exactly what happened as I was transported to June sixth 1944.

After the long drive we arrived at the D-Day memorial museum and learned how the world fell into World War Two. It was very informational to learn how the world just crumbled into chaos. At the end of our visit at the museum we watched a movie that was a compilation of videos illustrating the build up to and the Normandy invasions. It was hard to watch all those young men bomb and shoot each other. Then to put everything into even more context we traveled to Omaha beach.

Our brief visit at the beach put into perspective the sheer magnitude of the invasion that took place there. I was dumbfounded by the length of the beach, the height of the cliffs and the distance the soldiers would have had to run to get off the beach. And just up the road France gave the US a plot of land to use as a cemetery. This is where I hit with the heartbreaking reality of the number of men who lost their lives in that tragic conflict. Even though I don't know anyone connected to the Normandy invasion, I'm so thankful the French government gave all of our fallen soldiers a beautiful resting place.

-Noah T.