Sunday, June 19, 2016

My host family

When I first arrived in Germany I was really nervous to meet my host family. I didn't know if we would be able to communicate well or not. But my family speaks English very well, as do most of the host family's. Sitting down for dinner and talking with them, the connection was instantaneous! I have more in common with my new friend than I thought I would.

They took us climbing our first full day with them. It was an outdoor rope course high up in the trees! I had never done something like that before and it was neat to experience it with her entire family, although I have a massive mosquito bite on my leg now! We also walked to her uncle's farm where I got to take in a great view of the town and pet a cow, which is something you don't see walking around Downer's Grove.

Today I met even more people when we all went to their local amusement park. I enjoyed the rollercoasters and also the little museums built into the waiting area. We went on the water rides a few too many times and were soaked by the time we were done, but it was worth it because we laughed the entire time. Overall, I am having a blast here with my new family and it's really neat to be a part of a culture I am not used to and still find a way to make it feel like home.